Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tacos and Basketballs


A couple of weeks ago my youngest brother Kampbell, who I call Kampus, came to Dallas with his friend Bobby and stayed the weekend with me while Mat was in New Orleans for Oscars Bachelor Party.  Me and two 15 year old boys, I am sure you are thinking, "What could possibly be bad about that".  So two highlights of their visit (I will channel my inner Matthew Bond and list them with numbers in front, this blog is about both of us you know).

1) Fuel City -  When I heard they were coming my first thought was, "What the heck am I going to do with two 15 year old boys for three days!".  Insert twitter.  Naturally I sent out a 140 character message to my "Tweeps" (twitter peeps that is) and asked if anyone had any suggestions.  Joel Thomason (@JoelThomason or @10lunches) to the rescue.   Joel, the soon to be hero, had told me about his out of this world awesome trip with Ben Rector to Fuel City tacos while we were at Hunters rehearsal dinner - and I totally forgot about it.  Lucky for me he responded to my desperate tweet with a reminder that Fuel City was a great option, actually he said "Take them to Fuel City".  It was almost a command, how could I ignore that? 

 I don't know if you caught the Texas Monthly cover story titled "59 Tacos You Must Eat Before You Die" but in case you missed it Fuel City Tacos are number on on the list, yup number one, #1, most appropriately- numero uno.   Fuel City is a gas station.  Awesome, I know.  There is a window you walk up to and order tacos from a couple of Mexican ladies who are in a little tiny kitchen.  Each taco cost less than a dollar!  We walked up and ordered, picked out our bottled drinks imported from Mexico (made with real cane sugar - none of the High Fructose Corn Syrup crap) and waited for our tacos.  Once we got them we opened them up on the back of my car and dug in....FANTASTIC.  These things were incredible.  Kampbell said "Oh my gosh these things are amazing.  If this is a real taco nothing I have ever eaten before this qualifies as a taco."   We ate the tacos (Kampbell - 8, Bobby - 6, Kelsey - 2) while we listened to Karaoke in spanish that was taking place in the parking lot, watched longhorn cattle graze to the side of us, and talked about how we might not ever eat anything that great again.

2) Jazz vs. Mavs:  Kampbell had never been to a professional basketball game and the thought of coming to Dallas to see one of Fayetteville's Finest (Ronnie Brewer, Duh!) and the German Hero (Dirk Nowitzki) was too good to turn down.  So we went to Victory Park pre-game and walked around.  The boys needed a picture in front of the massive screen on the side of the American Airlines Arena, looking hard of course. 
The highlight was really after the game.  Ronnie was so nice to give us passes to hang out after the game and see the Jazz players.  Bobby was so excited he literally started screaming and talking like a little girl.  Kampus kept his cool and got a great picture with Ronnie.  

Disclaimer: Kampbell is not as tall as Ronnie he is actually no fewer than two steps above him on the bleachers. 
Jazz lost but thats OK it was a great weekend!  Can't wait to do it again - and maybe the Jazz will win next time!

1 comment:

  1. So you know Ronnie Brewer? Also, I love the recap of Fuel City. I'm convinced that no matter how many times you go, each visit is a new, unique experience. So much happens there.

    ReplyDelete